Monday, August 19, 2019

Pure Shower UV Cut Water Gel SPF30 PA+++

Having gone through a few bottles of Nivea Sun Protect Water Gel for Kids, I figured it was time for something new and opened this 280g/9.9oz pump bottle of Pure Shower UV Cut Water Gel SPF30 PA+++ for our little one as his daily sunscreen. I use it for him but really this was meant for the whole family.


This sunscreen comes out of the pump a light cream but applies like gel cream and melts into a "watery" texture no different than the popular Nivea Sun. It's an easy-on easy-off formula that we put on our guy every morning before heading out to school. Sounds like great stuff, but I see two glaring strikes against it.

When I first saw this sunscreen online, there was a big sticker right at the neck of the bottle that says it can be used on kids older than one. That claim alone sold me and I bought it. Now that I have it in hand and am using it on my 2-year old, I'm reading through the ingredients and, correct me if I'm wrong, don't see any other UV absorbers/blockers aside from octinoxate (メトキシケイヒ酸エチルヘキシル), the second on the list. To be honest, I'm now feeling a bit iffy with this single-active ingredient sunscreen, a chemical filter at that, especially on children so young. I may end up "help" use it up so we can move on to something else, hopefully better. I won't repurchase for this alone.

Secondly, this sunscreen is scented. Sure, the scent is rather mild and pleasant, a crisp and clean fruity flowery fragrance, but still, it's fragrance and I wish they hadn't added it :( So there, if you're curious and want to try it for yourself, sure. But for kids at little as one? I wouldn't.

As a side note, while looking up ingredients online, I saw a slightly different packaging for this sunscreen, also in a pump bottle but with only 250g instead of 280g. This makes me think they've repackaged this stuff recently. I don't know if they've reformulated it also, but a quick glance at the ingredients for the different-looking smaller bottle, I still only see octinoxate. At the time of this writing, the official product page still shows the packaging I have. However, the whole line has been pulled from the brand's online store.

And if I may digress a little more, I feel (and am generalizing here) Japanese companies have this super annoying thing they do that drives me crazy as a consumer: they have one website for the company/brand which may or may not contain product info, another website for the products with product info, and yet a third webstore of course with product info. So as you can see, in many cases they double and triple their own workload to maintain and update 2-3 different websites (sometimes more!), all contain mostly the same information with only slightly different functions. As a consumer, I'm often going around in circles jumping from their brand/company site to the product site and then to the webstore, and even then I still don't find what I'm looking for (a list of ingredients!!!). It drives me bonkers! Why not just have ONE website with brand/company info, product info, and a purchasing function? Is it really that hard?

2 comments:

Julia said...

Japanese web design combined with the constant revamping of products (and disappearance of favorites!) is a pet peeve of mine as well, so it's not just you.
Also, baby is already 2! Time flies!

D. said...

Hey Julia,

No kidding! No wonder those salary men are worked to death--their company were doubling and tripling and quadrupling their work! Grrr...

Oh man, time flies indeed. When I look at our little one, I still see a baby. Funny, because this is what our parents told us also--that we're still babies to them even at near 40 xD

Cheers,
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts