Last year, I spotted not one but two(!) Suqqu Eye Color Palettes on E(vil)bay for around $20 NIB with free shipping and snatched both up without hesitation: 03 蒼瑠璃 (Aoruri) and EX-05 澄茶墨 (Sumichazumi).
All pictures taken in natural light without flash.
Yes, you could call these nostalgic buys since I'm really missing Suqqu's old and sleek packaging. That said, I sure don't miss these suede storing pouches though. Urgh. They're lint magnets and they don't store well for sure.
- 03 蒼瑠璃 (Aoruri): this palette leans cool. I absolutely love that purplish mauve but wish the blue was darker. Right now, something feels "off" because the blue seems kind of warm to me.
- Top: base/highlighter, shimmer, very sheer. A chalky white that was really, erhhh, chalky for some reason (har har). I had to really dig at it just to get some color for the swatch.
- Center: medium, shimmer, medium intensity. Purplish mauve and absolutely gorgeous. Love this color!
- Bottom: medium/liner, shimmer, high intensity. An ocean blue that seems to clash with the cool tone of the rest of the palette as it swatches a little on the warm side with some green and gold. Also, I'd like my liner colors a little darker and this color is light enough to be used as a medium lid shade.
Seeing this palette in person immediately makes me think of EX-02 夜彩空 (Yosaizora), the same way 01 透橙石 (Toutouseki) resembled EX-06 花瑞樹 (Hanamizuki), and 02 金紫石 (Kinshiseki) to EX-21 紫水晶 (Murasakisuishou). So compared the two I did!
Funny enough, when I put 03 and EX-02 side by side, it occurred to me that the bottom pan of EX-02, also a blue, leans cool and seems to clash with the warmer tone of that palette as well. In fact, on its own EX-02 looks navy. However, next to the warmer blue in 03, the purple in EX-02 becomes apparent and it's more of a deep and purplish indigo to me, which kind of clashes with the other two pans, a warm pink-taupe and a pink-tinted white. Sure, they might have mixed some warmth in with the cool and vice versa for contrast and depth, but these color combos don't quite work for me.
So... I popped their bottom two blue pans out and swapped them ^.^ What do you think? Personally I like them better this way, with 03 a cool palette and EX-02 a warmer palette :)
- EX-05 澄茶墨 (Sumichazumi): I'd swatched EX-05 in store when it was released in Tokyo and didn't like it then. I still think it's kind of boring, but I'll admit it does look a lot better in natural light, in particular the bottom pan. Will elaborate below. Either way, I'm happy to have it now, especially at the price I did. They've discontinued these palettes for a few years now.
- Top: base/highlighter, shimmer, low intensity. A sparkling champagne gold.
- Center: medium/lid, shimmer, medium intensity. A golden beige.
- Bottom: liner, satin, medium intensity. A green-tinted charcoal that looks much better in person than it did when I swatched it in indoor lighting some years back. I think it was because the green tint disappeared in the yellow indoor lights and left this color a plain and boring charcoal.
03 蒼瑠璃 (Aoruri) and EX-05 澄茶墨 (Sumichazumi).
See my previous posts: