Sunday, January 19, 2020

Suqqu Moisture Rich Lipstick Part V

From the Suqqu x Gemstone Kaleidoscope Christmas 2018 Collection, in addition to the 8-pan Christmas Eyeshadow Compact, I also picked up the two Moisture Rich Lipstick in the LE colors 109 桃輝石 (Toukiseki) Mandarin Garnet and 110 緋色石 (Hiiroseki) Rhodolite Garnet.

All pictures taken in natural light without flash.

Unlike the 8-pan palette that comes in a huge compact, thankfully these are in the usual square lipstick packaging that's thick and bulky to begin with, nothing slim and sleek like the old Suqqu tubes. Being LE, they have kaleidoscope print that looks like gold fireworks, which dresses them up bit. 

And unlike the 8-pan palette, these lippies surprised me, and not in good ways. I didn't realize they both have shimmers :( I must have totally overlooked all the promo pics but when I opened up their caps, I was taken aback to see them loaded with shimmers. I didn't write anything off of course. There are other Moisture Rich lippies with shimmers: 02 花紅 (Hanakurenai) Lotus Pink, 04 金杏 (Kinanzu) Blissful Coral, and 09 輝赤 (Kiaka) Cardinal Red, and I love them all still.

Unfortunately, the formula for these two isn't as good as the permanent lineup. It feels similarly thick and moisturizing on my lips, and sure, the colors are translucent and so very wearable, totally my jam. However, the shimmers overload also gives them a gritty texture that I would expect Suqqu to address and alleviate but didn't. Boo. Hiss.

- 109 桃輝石 (Toukiseki) Mandarin Garnet: a translucent pink with white, pink, red, violet, and periwinkle shimmers that give the color a fuchsia sheen when seen at angle. It's pretty, but I wish it wasn't so gritty. Also, I think Suqqu (or Selfridges UK?) must have had the names for these lippies reversed, because I googled Mandarin Garnet and all the pictures showed up orange-red, and a search for Rhodolite Garnet below showed up all pink. 

- 110 緋色石 (Hiiroseki) Rhodolite Garnet: a translucent warm red with gold, pink, red, violet, and periwinkle shimmers that give the color a pink-violet sheen when seen at angle. Again, it's very pretty, but also disappointingly gritty.

109 桃輝石 (Toukiseki) Mandarin Garnet and 110 緋色石 (Hiiroseki) Rhodolite Garnet.

See my previous posts:

4 comments:

Citrine said...

Ahh so much glitter (a perfect way to spoil a perfect formula to me).

How did you find the English translation of the names? I didn't think they were names for actual minerals. I just assume 桃(momo iro is pink) 辉石 (pyroxene) is just pink pyroxene. And the second one 绯色石 is just deep red stone/mineral.

I thought that pass a certain time point (after they ditch the black packaging) suqqu names just became random combinations of (what they think sounds classic literary) words.

D. said...

Hey Mina,

Me too. These two colors would have been perfect without the shimmers.

The English names were what Selfridges UK used in their promo pics and on the online shop. I don't believe they are translations of the Japanese names. Either way, I really think they swapped those English names.

I'm not too keen on where the brand as a whole is heading either honestly, although over the holidays I did buy several more things that were on sale ^.^"

Cheers,
D.

Citrine said...

Oh, that makes more sense now the suqqu UK folks are totally clueless about Japanese (I remember there were making some silly mistakes on instagram since 2015-2016), I could bring myself to order suqqu lipstick on selfridges because I can't figure out what shade is it just from their English "translation"...(that digital swatch image doesn't help either)

D. said...

Yup, all the English names I've been using so far are all from Selfridge UK or Suqqu UK Insta pages. I think they're trying to be user-friendly for the English speaking world, never mind for years English-speaking bloggers had zero problem referring to the Japanese names. I think the translations introduce more confusions than help...

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts