Sunday, February 23, 2020

Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm

Almost done with this giant 312g/11oz. tub of Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm, finally! I've been itching to be done with it so I can move on to the tube of Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream (pictured below).


Initially, I was really looking forward to trying this. After all, a nighttime balm sounded like a great thing for a toddler, soothing for the skin and calming him down for bed (my little guy gets especially rambunctious right before bed, because he knows he has to go to sleep soon, go figure). Sadly, my enthusiasm waned greatly after just the first use: this stuff doesn't feel anything like a balm. Instead, it's more slick and melty like a silicone-y cream. This prompted me to check the ingredients for both this tub and the tube of cream. Welp, dimethicone is 5th on the list for this "balm" and 8th on the list for the cream. Dammit. Had I done this before purchasing to begin with, I would have skipped the "balm" and went with just the cream. Lesson learned.

I've been using this unscented 'balm" all over my little guy after his nightly bath: face, chest and belly, back, arms, legs, and feet. Yup, all over. And to be fair, it's been working well to keep my little guy's skin soft and moist and eczema-free, even if sticky. Whereas when we were still using CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, he would still get dry spots here and there despite the warmer weather. So yes, this "balm" definitely does what it claims to do, this much is true.

I just don't like how it feels as it leaves my hands all slippery and sweaty afterwards. Ick. Even worse is that they remain sticky and slippery for a long time until I wash my hands off, which is wasteful. The funny thing is, if I only use a tiny little dab on the back of my hands, it would set without any stickiness and does leave my hands super soft. How's that for contradiction? ^.^" Anyway, all that is to say I'm eager to finish off this tub and move on to the cream to see how differently it feels in comparison to this "balm." Will not repurchase.

4 comments:

Caty said...

There's definitely a learning curve with this stuff. I use it on my face and body after I get out of the shower. I've used it on damp hands too. The hard part to nail down is how much to use, I sometimes overdo it. :/

D. said...

Hi Caty,

How long have you been using this balm? Perhaps this is the kind of product that you just get used to the feel of after a while. It does work, for sure. I just can't get over the weird silicone texture. Have you tried the cream? Here's to hoping the cream will feel better and work just as well.

Cheers,
D.

Caty said...

Almost 2 years. The first few times I used it I didn't like the texture but the more I used it the more I liked it. I love the cream! It's less heavy but the balm is more occlusive.

D. said...

Hi Caty,

Good to know! Definitely looking forward to trying the cream version and hopefully it'll be enough to keep the eczema at bay with my little guy. If not, I'll either come crawling back to the balm or try something new.

^.^"
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts