I got an inquiry today about a discontinued lipstick, and I thought of 3 Custom Color Specialists. I first read about them in Real Simple and have been subscribed to their emailing list for a quite a long time now. I guess I never really paid any attention to any of the emails I was getting, that is, until the inquiry I received today.
The anonymous reader asked me about a discontinued Lancome lipstick, Le Rouge Absolu Creme in Rosiere, which I reviewed several months ago. She wanted to know where she could find more of it since Lancome no longer carries the line or the color. The very first thing I thought of was 3 Custom Color Specialists. Why? Because, true to the brand name, they make custom color cosmetics! Nifty, huh? Do you have a lipstick, gloss, eye shadow, blush, you name it piece of cosmetic you love so much but is no longer available on the face of this planet? Like wise, do you have a color you wish they'd make in a lipstick, gloss, eye shadow, blush, you name it piece of cosmetic? If so, check out the Custom Blending section on their website!
For a discontinued cosmetic item, you have 2 options:
1. Search their archive under each category of lipstick, conceiler, eye shadow, powder, nail polish, blush, etc., using a brand name (like Lancome) and a shade name (like Rosiere). If the discontinued item you love is made by a mainstream brand, chances are someone else before you have already requested the shade and your search will yield a match, meaning 3 Custom Color already have the color and formular on file. All you have to do then is order it!
2. Send in a dime size sample or the actual item (or what's left of it) in its packaging. It will be returned to you along with its clone!
For a color you wish to customize into a special cosmetic item just for you, you can send in a sample of the color in the form of "a splash of nail color in a baggie, a piece of fabric, a paint chip, a photo from a magazine, two lips colors blended together to create the ideal shade...anything!" - or so the website says. For those who love personalized things, this can be great fun!
Whether you are recreating a beloved item or customizing a special item, there are options for packaging (wand applicator, pot, or tube), texture/finishes (matte, semi-matte, creamy, sheer, gloss), and/or add on for special effects (shimmers versus opalescent).
No, I'm not working for 3 Custom Color, nor do I get any commission here, I just think the service they offer is kinda cool! And actually, there are several other indie cosmetic brands that offer this service as well, but the only one I could think of is 3 Custom Color. I've always taken this sort of things for granted, of course, because I'm not a loyal lover of any specific color or cosmetic item, but that doesn't mean everyone else has a short attention span like me. Also, another draw back for me is the price. With 3 Custom Color, you'll have to order a minimum of 2 units of whatever cosmetic item you're trying to replicate or create, for $55 for the first 2, and $18.50 for each additional unit. A bit pricey, I know, although it's still a lot cheaper than many high end brands. So I guess no duplicating or creating anything for me...yet... :P
However, with all that said I am eyeing several things from 3 Custom Color, as they do offer their own makeup collections and whatnot:
- Light Brights Lipsticks: I've got to have these lipsticks - see how bright yet translucent, sheer, simple and uncomplicated they are? I can almost see right through them - awesome!!! They are available in 4 super sheer but buildable neon pop shades: a tangerine (Area), warm coral red (Danceteria), "pinky peach" according to the website (Limelight), and cool berrish hot pink (Palladium). And best of all, they can also be used as a cheek stain. That's it, they are ALL mine. Mine!!!!
- Light Brights High Shine Gloss: Same concept and colors as the lipstick above, only in a gloss, and a lovely one at that. They have none of that shimmery or opalescent mess, and they are also very mine! I'm a total sucker for simple translucent glosses :D
***Pictures from 3 Custom Color Specialists.
- Lip & Cheek Stains: these are "dewey and balm-like," the website says. Whatever, 2 of the warm shades sold me so it doesn't really matter what the website says LOL. I'm so in love with Poppy (bright orange) and Mom on the Go (bright yellow-based red).
I've been collecting these Canmake Cream Cheek since they came out, skipping only 06 Nut Cream because it was too brown for my taste. T...
I'd been eyeing these Opera Lip Tint for a long time, since their release in the fall of 2016 when I'd just moved home from Tokyo ...
So the US dollar has been going strong against the Japanese yen in the past several months. Right now, the exchange rate is about where it w...
I'm not sure why, but it took forever for these Canmake Lip & Cheek Gel SPF24 PA+ to show up at the drugstores in my neighborhood....
Here are my entire collection of Stila Convertible Color . Missing in the photos are the LE colors Peach Poppy, Coral, and Roseberry from t...
Here's the Suqqu Designing Color Eyes palette 108 暁空 ( Akatsukizora ) Coral x Purple that accompanied Moisture Rich Lipstick 103 煌陽 ...
Finally, the newest installment of the Canmake Cream Cheek : a 14 Apple Cream Red in the regular line which I'd hunted down last fall...
Since last fall, I'd gotten my hands on three more Canmake Stay-On Balm Rouge SPF11 , 13 Milky Alyssum and 14 Poppy Bouquet from the ...
Before leaving Tokyo in the fall of 2016, I hoarded four sets of Tsubaki Oil Nouveau 2015 Winter Limited Shampoo and Conditioner while sho...
These SkinFood Tomato Jelly Tint Lips have been out for at least a couple of years now, since early 2013, I think. I discovered them earli...