Thursday, November 23, 2017

Celvoke Voluntary Eyes

Celvoke started to pop up in my Insta feed in the spring of this year. Being a new kid on the (high-end) block, I was intrigued but wasn't ready to give the brand a try until I saw photos of their Voluntary Eyes (what a weird name!) shadow singles tester board. By the end of the summer, I gave in and picked up 06 Chocolate Brown, 07 Tan, 09 Roshenna, and 12 Dark Purple from the 24 colors available.

All pictures taken in natural light without flash.

These eye shadow singles come in a translucent gray plastic cases and the compact is sold separately. As usual, I skipped the compact. The compact box pictured above is for the Voluntary Eye Palette 05, which I'll review next. I prefer the singles in their cases so I can just pick out the colors I want at random. This is the reason I prefer clear cases such as those from Addiction The Eyeshadow, whereas with Celvoke I'd have to open each one to see the color inside.

This is going to sound harsh, but I actually regret my entire Celvoke purchase. No, it has nothing to do with the quality of the product. In fact, these eye shadows are fantastic! They're silky smooth, have zero fall-outs, and pigmentation is excellent as you can see from the below swatch photos. To me, they're indistinguishable from Addiction. There lies the very problem. 

May be it's just me, but now that I've tried a few Celvoke eye shadows, I honestly don't see why I would pick Celvoke over Addiction, especially when they're both at the same quality and price point. Take these eye shadow singles for example, Celvoke has 24 colors and Addiction has 99. Whatever color Celvoke has, Addiction can probably match it and then some. Addiction Ready To Wear Eye Palettes (unfortunately discontinued) get my vote over Celvoke's and I'll explain why when I get to that post. I also like that Addiction has a sheerer line of lipstick. Point is, it boggles my mind that they did all that work to create a new high-end cosmetic brand and yet not care enough to distinguish it from another high-end brand.

- 06 Chocolate Brown: shimmer, high intensity. To me, this color is more of a minky brown and isn't warm enough to be chocolate.

- 07 Tan: metallic, high intensity. A metallic tan, true to its name. This color isn't deep enough to be worn on the crease. It's better below the crease.

- 09 Roshenna: metallic, high intensity. A warm golden suede. I like this color below the crease too.

- 12 Dark Purple: shimmer, high intensity. A blackened eggplant. Very pretty!

Top row, left to right: 06 Chocolate Brown and 07 Tan.
Bottom row, left to right: 09 Roshenna and 12 Dark Purple.

4 comments:

Citrine said...

Now you have mentioned it, the brand does have a very similar vibe like addiction (they already overlap with some surratt singles I have, which in my mind are copycat of addiction)...

Right now I actually ran out of overpriced Japanese palette that I want to buy so I went back to drugstore. I just hoarded some sana excel (everything is amazing except for the packaging), visee nudy rich and visee avant singles (like addiction on a budget lol)...Even some innisfree (6 bucks a piece) are giving me more joy.

D. said...

Hey Mina,

When I have time (I say that a lot nowadays...), I'll do comparisons between Celvoke and the Addiction singles I have. I'm pretty sure there are dupes even among the few I own. Sure, it may be because I always go for the same colors, but it also means they significantly overlap, much so that I can't tell them apart aside from the packaging.

I was pretty lukewarm about Suqqu's new Designing Color Palette too, until they recently released some pretty color combos. Lunasol continues to be meh save for the Isetan Shinjuku LE I posted a couple of weeks ago.

^.^"
D.

Anonymous said...

Where did you get this brand? Thanks.

D. said...

Hi Anonymous,

Celvoke is a Japanese department store brand, so major Japanese department stores like Isetan, Mitsukoshi, and Hankyu all carry it on their online stores. Celvoke has their own online store as well. The challenge is with shipping outside of Japan, and I think none of these online stores ships overseas. If you have friends in Japan who can help you receive and then forward these items, that would be the best case scenario. If not, a shopping service would work as well.

Best,
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts