Monday, April 7, 2014

Pixi Beauty Endless Silky Eye Pen

Since last year I've been on a liner pencil kick that doesn't seem to slow down anytime soon. Since seeing swatches of the Pixi Beauty Endless Silky Eye Pen from Kate's Driveling, I couldn't help but wonder if they would stand a chance against my all-melty powerful Japanese sunscreens. It so happened that around last March, Dermstore ran a really nice promotion wherein any $35+ order for Pixi Beauty receives a Pretty Eye Perfection Kit as GWP. Well, gee, that wasn't hard.

I ended up with 3 Endless Silky Eye Pens in 2-Black Blue, 3-Black Tulip, and 5-Deep Plum. The Pretty Eye Perfection Kit includes a 12-color eye shadow palette, a mini Endless Silky Eye Pen 1-Black Noir, and a deluxe sample of Eye Bright Primer 1.9g/0.06oz., which I also like very much and will review later. All pictures taken in natural light with flash.


Like Stila Smudge Sticks, these Endless Silky Eye Pens are so very soft, not as buttery as Stila Koi and Silver, but those two are an exception even among their other Smudge Stick siblings so it's not a fair comparison. Anyway, they apply smoothly and pigmented. My Japanese sunscreens don't melt (yay!) but will smudge them (noooo!!!). Fortunately, having experimented with the Stila Smudge Sticks I found a trick to make them stay put - setting them with eye shadow ^.^ So now, these and the Smudge Sticks are my go to eye pencils, because they're the only ones that doesn't melt off, stain my contacts, and temporary blind me! More colors please!



- 1-Black Noir: a satiny jet black with no shimmers. I actually haven't reached for this one at all, because I'm having so much more fun with colors, so why bother with black?

- 2-Black Blue: a satiny ink blue, also shimmer free. I don't reach for this one all that often either. I tend to lean towards purple, plum, turquoise, or green liners, I think.

- 3-Black Tulip: which is why this deep blueish purple is the color I reach for the most, along with 5-Deep Plum below. This blueish purple has fine violet shimmers that don't really show unless viewed under a direct source of light. 

Interestingly enough, while playing with the Stila Smudge Sticks I discovered a duplicate for this 3-Black Tulip: Smudge Stick Purple Tang! The two colors are literally indistinguishable, save for the more visible shimmers in Purple Tang which light up the liner under direct light, whereas the shimmers in 3-Black Tulip sparkle more elegantly and faint. See my comparison swatch below.

Endless Silky Eye Pen 3-Black Tulip (left) versus Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner Purple Tang (right).

- 5-Deep Plum: just as its name sake, this is a deep plum with lots of eggplant influence. In fact, depends on the lighting it will look eggplant on me! There are also fine shimmers in this color that give a faint sparkly, like 3-Black Tulip.

From left to right: 1-Black Noir, 2-Black Blue, 3-Black Tulip, 5-Deep Plum. The down side of not using flash is that the sparkly bits are lost in indirect natural light.

2 comments:

kuri said...

I like these pencils too! Smooth and easy to use. They fade on me, but it's not bad.
I should try the primer; I'm lazy though and haven't really worked it into my routine.

D. said...

Hi kuri!

I used to be really lazy about primers too, but it seems my eyes and skin have only gotten more oily as of late, so as much as I hate adding to my routine I apply eye primers faithfully now.

I've got my hands on a few more colors and will post about those soon ^.^

Cheers,
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts