Anyway, these new ones are back to being unscented, but the names stuck (I think they used to not have names until this summer's releases, which I still haven't gotten around to reviewing yet, ha!). The six fall LE colors are: PK-308 Apricot Pink, RD-220 Orchid Red, OR-117 Mandarin Orange, WN-74 Cassis Wine (inspired by creme de cassis, a regional specialty of Burgundy), BR-76 Marron Brown, and BE-229 Maple Beige.
Coffret D'Or JP.
These have been out since mid-August, and a couple of the colors proved surprisingly popular, selling out on Rakuten as well as in stores. Actually, all six of these LE colors have sold out on Rakuten, but I digress. Most of the drugstores no longer have the full collection on display, because they only display testers for those with stock, which makes sense. And having forgotten about them until now, yours truly had to trek to at least a dozen stores just to find testers for the two consistently sold-out colors.
The full collection display should look like this!
this Japanese blog.
But this was what I saw again and again at each store, with the PK-308 Apricot Pink and RD-220 Orchid Red consistently sold out :( The clerks were all telling me it was the RD-220 that went first, being the most popular. All of my photos were taken in indoor lighting without flash.
Anyway, along the way, I'd scoured the interweb for more photos of the full collection.
***Photos from this Japanese blog.
I didn't give up on my search, of course. With my brother in town visiting, taking him around means more opportunity for me to look (and he'd roll his eyes whenever I pointed out a drugstore...). Just this past Tuesday we were roaming Asakusa, strolling through the shotengai as well as the nearby shopping streets. In the far flung corner of the entertainment district, I finally found one drugstore with the opposite scenario as all the other stores I'd seen: they had only testers for PK-308 and RD-220, both having just one lipstick left, while all the other colors were sold out! Odd, huh?
- PK-308 Apricot Pink: a warm, somewhat milky apricot pink with gold micro-shimmers that leaves a pearly finish. I can see why this color is so popular--I see the same color lipstick everywhere and pretty much every brand makes at least one like it! In fact, I have quite a few similar colors myself: Lavshuca Dramatic Memory Rouge PK-2 and PK-3, Holika Holika Heartful Glossy Lipstick 03 CR302 Blushing Peach, to name a few. Hell, this color might be a more muted but milkier and pinker version of PK-289 and RD-215, and Rouge Essence RD-198! All that is to say I prefer the ones I already have and didn't take this bait :P
- RD-220 Orchid Red: a cool and juicy translucent red that's pigmented and in a jelly formula. You bet I snatched up that last tube! When have I ever said no to a translucent red? That said, this color surprises me being the #1 most popular color, but perhaps the trend is moving towards catchier redder lips.
Here are some lip swatches found on the interweb. As you can see, RD-220 is cooler and redder, almost berry on the back of my hand, and I'm already very warm-toned.this Japanese blog.
- OR-117 Mandarin Orange: more apricot orange than mandarin orange and somewhat milky. Still, it popped on my skin and I should have gotten a tube but didn't, being occupied with the constantly sold-out RD-220 at the time.
- WN-74 Cassis Wine: a gorgeous translucent violet that's quite pigmented as you can see. I did pick up this color and will probably go back for a second tube. I'm rather surprised this color isn't more popular and hasn't sold out yet (knock on wood it won't!). It's beautiful and not often seen on the Japanese market.
- BR-76 Marron Brown: a transparent nude brown with visible gold shimmers. Yes, it's totally see-through.
- BE-229 Maple Beige: a translucent nude peach.
Perhaps somebody up there rewarded me for my perseverance, but one of the drugstores I visited had a display of--gasp--the winter LE collection that won't be released until the first week of November and aren't even announced on the official website yet! They had the eye palettes too, but they looked boring so I didn't bother.
The six winter LE colors are: BE-230, BE-231, PK-309, PK-310, RD-221, and RS-336.
- BE-230: transparent nude with visible gold shimmers, similar to BR-76 above only more nude and less brown.
- BE-231: translucent reddish tawny with fine shimmers. I accidentally swatched this first when I meant to keep the colors by alphabetical order. So no, it's not a labeling mistake in the swatch photo below.
- PK-309: translucent sakura pink with fine shimmers.
- PK-310: lovely translucent coral and definitely on my buy list.
- RD-221: translucent and shimmer-free tomato red. OMG yes, please!
- RS-336: transparent lotus pink with visible pink shimmers. I'm leaning yes on this one. It looks like a pinker version of RD-212 and I love that color!