Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Taiyaki

Yesterday after having dinner at a standing udon bar right outside the Yokohama Station, I noticed that there were many teenage girls lining up at the snack booth next to our noodle bar. Looking over, I realized it was a taiyaki booth, a traditional Japanese snack food/dessert that is a fish-shaped waffle with sweet red bean paste (anko) inside. So I decided to get one ^.^

But I didn't get the traditional one. I got what they called "cold" taiyaki. There were 3 flavors available: chocolate, white, and strawberry. I picked strawberry, and in this case it means the taiyaki is dipped in strawberry yogurt icing and is filled with plain yogurt icing.

It was pretty good, though hubby didn't like it due to the strong strawberry flavor. Didn't bother me. I was a tad disappointed that the shell wasn't waffle but rather thick and cake-like. So instead of having a waffle dipped in strawberry yogurt icing mine ended up tasting more like a strawberry cake. Still didn't bother me though :P I will try the chocolate one next time.


By the way, the standing noodle bar is one of those booths where you step up, order, pay, and they give you your noodles in a flash and you eat it right then and there, standing in your spot. There is almost always a standing noodle bar of some kind (mostly ramen or udon) outside a larger train station in Japan. Talk about rushing around...Though I have to admit the udon at this stand damn good. Didn't have time or space to snap a pic, sorry!

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts