Friday, November 28, 2014

Patricia Wexler MD MMPi Skin Regenerating Serum

So I read a while back that this Patricia Wexler MD MMPi Skin Regenerating Serum is really great. That said, it's also really expensive, $150 for a 100mL jar, which is huge, yes, but still $150. Good thing Bath & Body Works often have this item on sale for less than half price at $65, and sometimes with additional discounts on top of that. I got my jar with an extra 20% off during a summer promotion, when I finally ran out of Astalift Jelly Aquarysta back in October, I started using this.


First, let's talk about packaging. It's horrendous. A gigantic and heavy plastic jar containing 100mL of product. So I scooped about half out into my newly emptied, cleansed and sanitized 40g Astalift Jelly Aquarysta jar. And you know what, I've been using this serum daily for 2 months now and barely made a dent in the 40g jar. So it's suffice to say the 100mL jar will probably last at least a couple of years for me.

Now to the product itself. I had a hard time thinking of it as a "serum", because when I see "serum" I think "liquid". As you can see from the photos below, this is not a liquid. It's not a lotion or a cream, and while it looks like a gel, I would say it's more like a wax gel, if that makes any sense. It even feels like wax, texture wise! Think of those clear and colorful "gel" candles in a clear glass filled with seashells or little baubles - this "serum" feels like that, an oily soft wax. I was actually kind of icked out when I first touched it, because it's just so waxy and oily it just feels wrong to put it on my face. I'm no chemist, but my guess is that this waxy oily texture is from the dimethicone, the very first ingredient listed. So yes, this "serum" is made mainly with a silicone oil, so if you're sensitive to silicones, this product is probably not for you.

Surprisingly enough, as soon as the serum is applied to the face, this waxy oily texture immediately dries to a velvety finish, making my skin super soft. It's also very moisturizing, to a point that I skip it in the morning on days when I lounge at home, because not going out means no sunscreen and less oil control. There were times when I went ahead and apply this serum anyway even when I don't layer on sunscreen afterwards, and what do you know just a couple of hours later my face was a greasy mess. Even at night, I apply very little or risk waking up to a greasy face also. This explains why after 2 months of daily use I still have a full 40g jar. 

Has there been any changes to skin after 2 months of using this? Not that I notice. So while I'm glad I gave this a try, when (and if) I'm done with this jar I'm going to move on.

2 comments:

kuri said...

Sounds like my oily skin can skip this!

D. said...

Hi kuri,

Me too, even though my skin is dry. I'd scooped out some into a smaller jar, so I'm going to give the rest of the big jar to my mom! I'm not really impressed with this stuff, but may be my mom will like it ^.^

Cheers,
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts