Thursday, July 11, 2013

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm

Been using this Clarins Beauty Flash Balm occasionally for the past 2+ months. This 30mL/1.06oz tube came from the Feed 10 Kit that I bought during Clarins' 2013 Spring Beauty Gift GWP event.

2013 Spring Beauty Gift

The Feed 10 Kit comes with another 3mL/0.1fl oz. tube of UV Plus HP SPF40 Day Screen, this Beauty Flash Balm, 0.13oz. jar of Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, and 0.15oz. tube of Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector in the color 01 Rose Shimmer.


This is a multi-purpose product that can be used as a moisturizer, a moisture mask when you need a quick shot of moisture, or as the last step of skincare prior to applying makeup, in other words, a makeup base. I have not tried it as a makeup base (my Japanese sunscreens are doing a fantastic job and I have absolutely no incentive to change this...), but I have tried it as a moisturizer as well as a moisture mask with mixed results. 

But first, let's talk about this product's fragrance. Yes, it is scented. But no worries, it smells really nice ^.^ It's a very feminine scent with hints of rose and powder, very much reminds me of the old Nivea cream my grandmother used to wear, only somewhat more youthful and not too matronly, not that there's anything wrong with matronly. The scent is mild and not overpowering but lingers for quite a while. After an hour of application, I can still smell it on my face!

I started using it as a moisture mask while traveling two months ago. I read reviews of people using it as an inflight moisture mask, which sounded like a great idea since the air planes will leave you thirsty and your skin dehydrated. I was a bit worried because I always wear sunscreen on flights and I wasn't sure it will wear well over sunscreen. Just in case you forget, the higher you are in the air, the higher your radiation dosage. Make sense, right?

Anyway, I finally went through with it, and to my surprise it wore pretty well over my Japanese sunscreen ^.^ I blotted first to make sure there are no excess oil, then squeeze tiny bit the size of my pinky nail, warmed in my palms, pressed lightly all over my face. The balm absorbed in no time to a semi matte finish, probably because of the sunscreen underneath. I didn't get the instant glow many ladies reported, but my skin did feel refreshed and comfortable (while I mostly looked dead... -.-'). I shared some with mum in law each time and she seemed to enjoy it too. But then after the few days' travel was over, I noticed clogged pores, as in blackheads, particularly in the area around my mouth that's prone to clogging. Of course, the clogging could have been anything, but I'm sure it was the combination of this balm over my sunscreen that did it. After some exfoliating the clogged pores were back to normal, but I if I were to use it a moisture mask again I won't apply it over sunscreen.

In the weeks after that, I tried it occasionally as a moisturizer, whenever my skin feels extra dry. For this purpose, I used even less than the pinky nail amount and skipped the emulsion/light moisturizer layer and went straight to this product. And while my skin got that refreshed feel at first, after about an hour or so it turned super greasy. So yeah, unfortunately this balm is too moisturizing and didn't work out too well for me as a moisturizer. In the end, I'm glad I tried it, but I'm also happy to know I can safely skip the full size. If anything, this travel sized tube will last me until the next year!

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts