Monday, March 11, 2013

Maybelline Baby Lips Part II

Saw these limited edition Maybelline Baby Lips twin packs on Citrine's blog last October while I was in Taipei. We were going to do another swap since our last one was quite fun, but she couldn't find any more of these at her local drugstores - they were all sold out :( I ended up emailing their pictures to my sister, asking her to keep her eyes open, just in case they pop up somewhere. 

Sure enough, about a month later, she was at by a Walgreens in a different part of town and lo-and-behold, there they were on the display shelf. So she grabbed a couple of them for me ^.^ I already have 030 Peach Kiss so I gave the one in the twin pack to her. She hated it LOL! Her lips are darker than mine, so this color was not translucent enough to keep its shimmers from turning frosty and pale on her.

From left to right: 80 Pink Wink and 030 Peach Kiss, 70 Coral Crush and 50 Twinkle, and 05 Quenched. All pictures taken in natural light without flash.

- 05 Quenched: as you can see, this one is clear. It has a fake sweet candy scent with a touch of tart but I don't mind it. To my surprise, hubby doesn't either and he's been happily using it ^.^ For an everyday lip balm, I like it. But it has neither the smooth thickness nor the lasting power to last me overnight so it's strictly a day balm.

- 50 Twinkle: another clear day balm but I like its scent much better than 05 Quenched above. It smells like fruit punch to me :)

- 70 Coral Crush: this one is not coral at all. It's shimmer-free translucent a bright orange and I love it! I'm happy to report I have found another orange lippie that doesn't turn coral on my lips (the other being Canmake Candy Wrap Lip 07 Hot Marmalade)! Not just that, it's the most pigmented out of all the Baby Lips, at least on me. It's appropriately scented with a light citrusy fragrance.

See how orange it is on me even with the blue tinge of the lighting? I'm thoroughly impressed!

- 80 Pink Wink: funny how things work, as the more I love 70 Coral Crush, the more I hated 80 Pink Wink. Looking through the clear cap at the top of the balm stick, I had this awful dread, and the moment I swatched it on the back of my hand, I simply recapped it and tossed it into the trash bin. Why bother taking another swatch picture when Google already has millions of it ready for viewing (hint: search "ganguro")? This balm looked pinkier and a lot more innocent in the tube than its actual pale powdery pink opaque utter flop that it is, well, was. Dammit.

I was looking for something more, umm, subtle? Either way, do you think these two are related? (Of course I'm being snarky!!!)
***Picture from Outsider Japan.

See my previous Maybelline Baby Lips post.

2 comments:

Citrine said...

Orange that stays orange...Wow, I wish they are still available or get tucked in to the permanent range. I was wearing their coral luster lipstick (one of my all time favorite)today and I noticed that the orange coral still turned hot pink by the end of the day.

I noticed they did re-release these balm in individual forms in Walgreens but they still got wiped out pretty quickly (at the very least, the coral crush is gone already).

D. said...

Hey Citrine,

Darn, I saw a single-packaged one at my local Walgreens a couple of weeks ago!!! If I see it again I'll grab it for you ^.^

Cheers,
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts