Friday, June 3, 2016

Lunasol 2016 Summer Clear Colorful Eyes Swatches

Update Saturday June 4, 2016.

In my original post below, I'd gushed over that gorgeous navy in EX01 Ocean Lagoon Collection but didn't want to buy the whole palette for just that color. Instead, I contemplated going for Addiction The Eyeshadow single in 96 Blue Moon.  

Then during a conversation, a reader, Caty, recommended I try the Vivid Clear Eyes 01 Blue Green Collection for its deep color, a blackened blue-green. As you know, I loved these Vivid Clear Eyes palettes--I own 5 of them!

 ***Screencap from Lunasol JP. All other pictures taken in indoor lighting without flash. Clickable = zoomable.

So while in Ginza last week to swatch the Three-Dimensional Eyes EX03 Clear Beige palette from the Summer Kit 2016 (will post next), I went ahead and swatched all 3 candidates: Addiction 96 Blue Moon, Lunasol EX01 Ocean Lagoon, and Lunasol 01 Blue Green ^.^

Addiction 96 Blue Moon has lots of purple with periwinkle shimmers. Under direct indoor lighting, Lunasol EX01 Ocean Lagoon isn't so much a navy anymore but is still a gorgeous and vivid lagoon blue with royal blue shimmers. And turns out, Lunasol 01 Blue Green isn't blue at all but is more like a greenish black with multi-colored shimmers. Then again, the indoor lighting was yellow, so perhaps there was a little blue in it that got drowned out? Either way it's beautiful, but unfortunately not what I'm looking for.

Closeup of Vivid Clear Eyes 01 Blue Green.

So what was the verdict? I went for both Addiction 96 Blue Moon and Lunasol EX01 Ocean Lagoon ^.^" Addiction because I love the purple touch (I love purple anything...), and EX01 Ocean Lagoon because that vivid blue looks even more lustrous and beautiful in comparison to other blues. It's that one color I just know I'd regret passing up, so in the end I gave in and bought the whole palette for it. Will review later.

---------------------------------------------
Original post Sunday, April 24, 2016.

The first glimpses of Lunasol's 2016 Summer release, the Clear Colorful Eyes weren't enticing to me at all. They're releasing 2 quads this summer, the cool-toned EX01 Ocean Lagoon Collection and the warm-toned EX02 Coral Shell Collection. I rarely buy quads to begin with, and the colors have been recycled to death, nothing new or special. Totally yawn-worthy.
***Screencaps from Lunasol JP

And then just this past Friday I was out to lunch with an old friend, and since we were in Shinjuku I decided to stop by the Isetan store there for a peek. Well, that was the death of me. These quads are still nothing special and I've seen all the colors before, but they're quite pretty in person. Argh. Why did I have to go look?!

All pictures taken in indoor lighting without flash.

But I didn't stop there. I had to play with the damn testers too! Butter, buttah, I tell you! And they're well pigmented too, especially the darkest shade. Urgh. Why did I have to go touch?! Because yes, I bought something! =.="

- EX01 Ocean Lagoon Collection: the cool palette with white, green, and blues. I adore the lime green sparkling top wash. It has yellow, turquoise, and lime green sparkles. But what will I do with it is the question--I don't ever use colors like these, not even as a top wash. I have enough yellow in me as it is. I absolutely love the navy deep color though and will definitely use it a lot. Then again, I know I won't touch the white or the pale blue, which means I'll be buying the whole palette for just one color. Nope, not going to do that.

Super-zoomed blurry photos to show the sparkles.


- EX02 Coral Shell Collection: the warm palette with a pearly golden white, yellowy gold, peach, and brown. Yup, this was the quad I ordered. These colors are boring but for some reason they caught my interest, which is totally weird. The Sparkling Eyes from the winter collection were boring too and they actually stayed boring! I even tried to get my excitement up for those quints and just couldn't they were so boring ^.^"

In contrast with the cooler EX01 above, I do wear all 4 colors in this EX02. I especially like the yellow gold sparkling top wash. Look closely and you'll see violet sparkles. How pretty is that? The chocolate brown isn't dark enough to line but I do have lots of lining options so this doesn't bother me at all.  

Swatches for both palettes with clear (top) and blurry (bottom) shots for your viewing pleasure. I really really wish they made that navy blue in a single pan. I would have bought it in a heartbeat!

14 comments:

Caty said...

I'm so happy you swatched these! I was afraid EX02 would be too pink but I see it has the right amount of warm peach in it. Definitely ordering it now. BTW, did you mention a while back you picked up the LE shades from the Spring Coffret D'or PSR?

D. said...

Hi Caty,

And I'm happy the swatches are useful to you! :D

EX02 is warm and gorgeous. I hope you'll like it as much as I do!

Yes, I did purchase 4 out of the new 8 Coffret D'Or Premium Stay Rouge releases. In fact, now that you mentioned it, I did swatched 7/8 also. I'll dig through my photos tonight (sooo behind on photos!) and will post the swatches soon!

Cheers,
D.

Caty said...

The stock photos made the palettes look so bleh so I'm glad they're more lively in person. Looking forward to the PSR swatches!

D. said...

Right? I'm so glad I went and took a peek as I was about to skip this collection too!

Cheers,
D.

Citrine said...

I love how the ocean lagoon collection looks but the pastel blue and green kind of overlap with some of my majolica palettes though...I guess I have a few months to decide since lunasol generally don't sell out nowadays.

D. said...

I'm really tempted to buy the Ocean Lagoon palette because that's just how much I like the navy. Urgh. Must resist.

^.^"
D.

Caty said...

The old Coffret D'or 3D Glossy Eyes in 05 is almost identical to EX01 if you're up for doing some internet hunting for a cheaper dupe. I used to have 05 but the cool tones clashed too much with my coloring so I can't swatch it for you but I found some good pics here:

http://www.iswii.net/iswii/showpost/26313

D. said...

Hi Caty,

You're right! The 3D Glossy Eyes 05 is a great dupe, thank you! I actually have several of these palettes (4, I think?) and I love them!

For palette 05 I'd still be buying the whole palette for just a tiny square of the blue though :( I'm actually eyeing Addiction eye shadow single in Blue Moon. Have you tried Addiction eye shadows? What do you think?

Cheers,
D.

Caty said...

I actually have not tried anything by Addiction. Well, yet anyways. :p I've fast approached the point where my makeup collection is over saturated so I've started collecting high end brushes like Suqqu. I looked at swatches of the Addiction singles and I'm surprised I haven't accumulated at least 1 or 2 yet.

I feel you on wanting a palette only for one shade. I was digging through my collection last night and found my Lunasol Vivid Clear Eyes in 01 Blue Green. I love the navy liner shade, it has a really gorgeous blackened quality to it. The highlighter color is white but not stark or harsh (leans slightly ivory) and you get a lovely pale yellow. I know you're not keen on blues & greens but I think you may be pleasantly surprised by the lighter color in the split pan.

D. said...

Hi Caty,

Great idea, thanks :D! The Lunasol Vivid Clear Eyes in 01 Blue Green is still available too! This Friday I'll go pick up my EX02 order and will swatch it against EX01 Ocean Lagoon ^.^ Will let you know which one goes home with me!

Excited!
D.

Caty said...

I think what sets 01 Blue Green apart from EX01 is that the blue doesn't have a cool grey undertone to it so I think if you have warmer yellow undertones it's much more wearable. Good luck! :D

Ann said...

I love the ocean lagoon ,the green color is so fresh.it kind of resemble with cucumber green color ^^

ANN // PETITEDIARIES

kuri said...

Tell us what you think of Addiction after you use it for a bit!

D. said...

Hi kuri,

The Addiction singles are next up in my queue! Can't wait to get to them!

Cheers,
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts