While there was some excitement over the 2017 Spring release of Lunasol Color Sky Eyes, in the end boring me went for the same-old same-old combination of 03 Pink Orange. Sure, 01 Yellow Lilac has that yellow and the purple, but I just know I'll rarely touch the other 3 colors. It's even worse with 02 Blue Green--I'll probably only use the darkest color to line my eyes. The LE EX01 Colorful is very pretty, but again I know I'll only use half of the palette, the orange and the pink. So practicality wins over novelty this time.
All pictures taken in natural light without flash.
The powder eye shadow has the usual soft, almost-buttery texture but is less pigmented than previous Lunasol palettes. The finish is much more subdued too, and all except the deepest shade have a subtle pearly sheen. I would have appreciated some metallics or at least one super sparkly shade, but they would just make this palette too similar to the others in my collection. At least each of the shade is pretty versatile, as in they can be sheered out and or layered up.
Overall, I'm happy to have this palette. It's pretty, basic, and safe for work, but it's nothing to go crazy over if you can't get your hands on one. I think it's not worth the crazy marked up prices.
Clockwise from top left:
- Medium/lid: pearl, low intensity. A peony pink with scattered white shimmers and very fine pink shimmers that gives it a subtle pearly glow.
- Medium/lid: shimmer, low intensity. A candied orange with peach shimmers.
- Base/highlighter/sparkling top wash/lid: shimmer, very sheer. A pretty cream-beige with white and pale pink sparkles and a subtle pearly sheen. Dust this on for a sparkling top wash or layer it for a lid wash.
- Medium/liner: shimmer, high intensity. Milk chocolate, which I think is too light a color to line with but it does make a lovely crease shade. I have lots of liners I can use anyway.
- Lid: shimmer, low intensity. A shimmery pale peach, again with a subtle pearly sheen. Makes a great lid wash whenever I'm too lazy for anything else. Brightens up my whole eye area!