Sunday, October 7, 2007

Dabbing into Makeup

I was never into makeup, that is, until I came to Japan. I'm totally a novice at this makeup thing, but below are a few reasons that got me into Japanese brands. Just my own opinion based on experience. Also, since I'm still new at this, I haven't tapped into the higher end Japanese brands just yet. Still exploring the field with low to mid-end brands right now.

- Quality
I find US/European brands make better lip products such as lipsticks and glosses, but I prefer Japanese brands when it comes to base makeup (like foundation, powder, blushes, highlighters, bronzers, etc.) and eye shadows. As far as I've seen, some low-end drug store Japanese brands make better blushes and eye shadows than some high-end department store US/European brands. Hard to believe, I know. I wasn't convinced either until I tried them myself!

- Color RangeYes, I like makeup, but again I haven't gotten to the point of being expressive or adventurous. Yet while I tend to stick to the more basic colors (yes, boring), I find US/European brands make colors and combinations that don't quite work with my skin tone. When they do offer the colors I like, these collections are only available within Japan. Hmph!

On the other hand, most Japanese brands can be obtained overseas (for a price, of course). Best of all, I can wear the color combinations they offer! You should give Japanese makeup a try too. Who knows, you might just fall in love with all the pretty colors like me!

- Textures/Finishes
Another feature unique to Japanese brand makeup is that they tend to be very sheer, shimmery and metallic. And while one look at all the pretty sparkles would make the average US consumer's stomach churn, I actually prefer my makeup that way. I absolutely hate matte shadows. I can't think of a faster way to make my eyes look muddy and bruised. Ick. Of course, if I am not careful, I will risk looking like a tween with all the sparkles. But if I use them correctly, all the shimmers actually accentuate my features. The more pigmented shades I use as eye-liners instead of shadows anyway.

- Packaging
Let's just say I wouldn't want to open my makeup bag to find a nasty, bulky, and plastic-y black compact that's ever-so-present with most US/European brands (think MAC, no offense). I know the brand wants to achieve that professional makeup artist feel to their products, but I'm not a makeup artist, and neither are most people. I'm just an average consumer who gets suckered (or would like to be) into all the sleek and feminine packagings that are pleasing to the eyes and are clean-looking. What does clean have anything to do with it? Well, I put that stuff on my face, my eyes, and my lips, after all!

Mean while, I find most Japanese brands (even the cheapo drug store brands) have more attractive packagings, if not a little too girlie at times. What I like the most, however, is that many sell cases and refills separately. So efficient! Yes, I pay a little more for the case and refills, but it's better than throwing away the perfectly fine case every time I run out. Also, the refills almost always come in a clear plastic case so I could just carry them individually if I want. In fact, I often find myself skipping the case altogether because I am a mix and match person and I change my mind rather often, so I always end up carrying whatever color/s I feel like that day. I like all things mini anyway, like the ubiquitous gift-with-purchase sample items I get with US/European skin care products.

That's it. Not too hard to understand, right?

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts