Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cle de Peau Beaute Gentle Protective Emulsion SPF20

When I was using the Cle de Peau Beaute Gentle Protective Emulsion SPF25 PA++, I noticed, and subsequently noted in my review, that Cle de Peau Beaute also has a crazy expensive, though super nice sunscreen (or so I've read), but that the US version has entirely different ingredients than the Japanese/Asian version. Since I was using the Japanese version of the Protective Emulsion, and it had some, albeit wimpy, sun protection, I wondered if that meant there is a different US version for it also.

Well, guess what, there is - this Gentle Protective Emulsion SPF20 - the note the weaker SPF and the absence of the PA rating. I actually grabbed this 5mL/0.16fl oz. tube in a sample set off of E(vil)bay because I wasn't about to drop $130 just for kicks, but a few bucks to satisfy my curiosity is okay ^.^ E(vil)bay being what it is, and I can't be sure how old these samples are. That said, since their inner packaging look exactly like the fresh Japanese counterparts from 2012, I think these probably can't be any older than 2011. I'm saying that because I also bought an older set of samples, probably from around, or even before, 2010 and those have different inner and outer packaging altogether!

The sample set includes, from left to right, Cleansing Cream 9mL/0.29oz., Gentle Cleansing Foam 6mL/0.23oz., this Gentle Protective Emulsion SPF20 5mL/0.16fl oz., and Gentle Balancing Lotion 12mL/0.40fl oz.


The US version (top row) has English on the back (duh?), versus the Japanese version (bottom row).


I can tell you this US version is definitely not as nice as the Japanese one. It comes out of the tube looking the same, like slightly curdled yogurt, goes on similar also, like a light cream, and it even has the same nice powdery scent. However, it doesn't dry to the same dewy finish. It doesn't turn me shiny or greasy, but it just doesn't look as nice. The Japanese version made my skin super smooth as well, and this doesn't do that either. If anything, leaves me somewhat sticky, even though I don't use as much of it as I did the Japanese version. I usually start out with small amounts, then increase depends on how much my skin needs and how well the product absorbs. Unfortunately, it seems this US version doesn't absorb as well, at least with my skin.

Anyway, I think there might be a newer version of this emulsion already. The Cle de Peau Beaute's US website lists a version with SPF22, while Nordstrom and other retailers still show the SPF20 version I'm using. I say meh either way, especially since there's not that big of a difference between SPF20 and SPF22. If you're going to spend that money, go straight for the Japanese version of the sunscreen, which I've read is super duper nice, and just skip this sun-protection-wannabe altogether. 

Here's the ingredients for the Gentle Protective Emulsion SPF25 PA++ JP. Anyone wants to volunteer a translation? xD

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts