Sunday, January 11, 2015

Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Crayon

Next up in the Sephora Favorites 2014 Draw the Line set is this mini Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Crayon in Blacquer. The set also includes: Sephora Contour Eye Pencil 12HR Wear Black Lace, NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Via Veneto, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion and Rockstar, Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Dark Brown, and Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper.

All pictures taken in natural light without flash.


For the swatches below, I let set for 5 minutes then did some tests on them: touched, rubbed, ran under warm water, then rubbed under running warm water. This particular Marc Jacobs is a sharpening-free twist up. It has an odd thick and wet texture, sticky to the touch until set. So it takes a much longer than all the other liners to set, which means after 5 minutes when I touched it, it smeared, and smudged badly when rubbed. So I waited for another 5 minutes before running it under warm water, and it performed amazingly well with that test, neither smear or smudged, not even when rubbed, and under running warm water!

So this means for this Marc Jacobs pencil to really do its magic, you've got to let it set. Say you're going use a brush to smudge it alone or with powder shadow, it'll need 10 minutes to set. If you're just going to line and let be, I would think it'll need even longer. Kind of inconvenient, I would say, but if you've got the time, it'll pay off in terms of lasting power, because it'll stay on even if you were to cry and rub your eyes.

- Blacquer: the most intense jet black of the bunch that totally stands out from the rest - see the swatch. The first time I swatched this, it set with a lovely glossy shine that brought home its name - black lacquer. This glossy shine is visible in the swatch photo too! However, I was unable to replicate this lovely effect with subsequent uses, not sure why, as in the glossy shine disappeared :( Very odd. Not sure why. I do wish the shine comes back, because that's what sets this eye liner apart from all the other ones I've tried thus far.



I also received a GWP with my purchase, and from those GWP I've reviewed Clinique Almost Lipstick Black Honey and Tarte LipSurgence Lip Gloss Exposed.

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts