Been dying to get to these Lunasol Eye Coloration since the spring of 2020 when they first came out! I picked up 4 palettes to try: 01 Twilight Sky and 02 Deep Rose Quartz, and the two limited editions EX01 Moon Tears and EX02 Mystical Coral. Caty was raving about them so I couldn't help but be curious.
Saturday, July 31, 2021
Lunasol Eye Coloration
All pictures taken in natural light without flash.
These come in the same metallic gold packaging as the Seamless Matte Lips, larger and thicker than the old bronze compacts. I don't love them but they don't bother me as much as the gold lipstick tubes. Like the Seamless Matte Lips, these new eye shadows are more expensive as well, at 6,820yen per piece, versus 5,500yen with tax before.
That said, I totally see why Caty love them so much. They've got an amazing eye shadow formula to go with the amazing lipstick formula. These Eye Colorations are buttery smooth with minimal fall-out, and as you can see they're well pigmented. There are some unusual color combos too, unusual for Lunasol at least. They're trying to freshen things up and I appreciate the effort. I was getting pretty bored of the yawny gradations they keep pumping out every year.
- 01 Twilight Sky: I have to say, not sure what I was thinking when I picked this palette. All the colors are bright and super daring for boring ol' me. Then again, the top right (peach) and bottom left (orange) pans really knocked my socks off. Where do you find such a bright and juicy orange eye shadow? Wow! I'd probably need to down a few shots of liquor just to gather to guts to wear this color, but I'm happy to have it either way. Also, another thing I noticed with this palette is that it has all medium, accent, or lid shades. There are no base/highlighter or deep/liner colors, which is fine as I don't lack either.
Clockwise from top left:
- Medium/accent/lid: shimmer, medium intensity. A shimmery turquoise-jade green.
- Medium/accent/lid: metallic high shimmer, medium intensity. A gorgeous metallic peach with glossy-sparkly gold shimmers.
- Medium/accent: shimmer, high intensity. A warm red with micro-shimmers so fine it reflects a satiny sheen.
- Medium/accent: shimmer, medium intensity. A scorching and juicy orange with sparkly gold shimmers. Makes me think of tropical Hawaii.
- 02 Deep Rose Quartz: out of the 4 palettes, this one was the most "normal", as in it's a boring gradation and I should have skipped it ^.^" In fact, it looked a bit different in the promo pics, with more violet, so I was expecting the whole color scheme to lean more berry. However, once I saw it in person, I was a bit disappointed how dull and muted it was in natural light. Also, doesn't it look familiar to you? I did a double take and then had an ah-hah moment: this palette is a total dupe of Suqqu Designing Color Eyes 01 優芍薬 (Yuushakuyaku). I don't have this Suqqu palette for a reason, because it's too boring even for boring ol' me. Should have skipped this Lunasol one as well. Blah.
***Screencap from Selfridges UK.
Clockwise from top left:
- Base/highlighter: shimmer, very sheer. Pearly golden sand.
- Lid/top wash: metallic high shimmer, low intensity. A translucent soft petal pink white and medium pink shimmers, giving it a glossy-sparkly vivid pink sheen.
- Deep/liner: satin, high intensity. Chocolate with few scattered white shimmers and a subtle satiny sheen.- Medium/crease: metallic, medium intensity. Pretty taupe.
- EX01 Moon Tears: another unusual color arrangement, pairing pale canary yellow with pastel purple and a white that shifts mint green. Unlike palette 01 Twilight Sky above, this EX01 Moon Tears has a distinct airy pastel and dream-like quality to it. There isn't even a medium/crease color in the palette. All are lid/accent colors. And wait a minute, where have I seen that sparkly pink at top right before? *Looks back at the other 2 palettes* Ohhh...because it's identical to the top right pan in 02 Deep Rose Quartz above! So Lunasol duped itself, hmm?
02 Deep Rose Quartz vs. EX01 Moon Tears
Wow, just look at that! They really are identical and I really wasn't seeing things! I mean, that sparkly pink is so pretty but, yep, I really should have skipped 02 Deep Rose Quartz.
Clockwise from top left:
- Base/highlighter: shimmer, low intensity. Pearly white that reflects a mint green when seen at an angle.
- Lid/top wash: metallic high shimmer, low intensity. I didn't even have to change my description from above--ha!--a translucent soft petal pink white and medium pink shimmers, giving it a glossy-sparkly vivid pink sheen.
- Lid/accent: shimmer, low intensity. So this pastel purple has an interesting, multi-layer finish. Like the red pan in 01 Twilight Sky, it has micro-shimmers so fine they give it a satiny sheen. However, it also has larger "floating" lavender shimmers that result in another lavender sheen on top of the satin pastel purple sheen.- Lid/accent: metallic, medium intensity. Metallic canary yellow. Very pretty!
- EX02 Mystical Coral: now this palette is my jam! Actually, it very much reminds me of Suqqu Designing Color Eyes 118 朱夏 (Akenatsu), but it's not a total dupe like 02 Deep Rose Quartz. Either way, I have Suqqu 118 so I'll do a comparison post for these two palettes when I get around to it. EX02 Mystical Coral is also markedly more pigmented than EX01 Moon Tears. I don't love the white at top left but it's not opaque and is totally wearable. That coral at bottom left is just too gorgeous for words, and I was pleasantly surprised with the deep olive at bottom right too. Just look at that sparkling peach at top right--wait a minute, where have I seen it before? *Looks back at the other pans* I knew it. It's identical to the top right pan in 01 Twilight Sky! Another self-dupe, Lunasol?
Suqqu Designing Color Eyes 118 朱夏 (Akenatsu)
01 Twighlight Sky vs. EX02 Mystical Coral
Yep, identical. But since I like both palettes and I love that sparkling peach, I actually don't mind have duplicates of it :P
Clockwise from top left:
- Base/highlighter: shimmer, low intensity. A shimmery soft white.
- Medium/accent/lid: metallic high shimmer, medium intensity. Again, I don't even have to bother changing the descriptions for this pan--gorgeous metallic peach with glossy-sparkly gold shimmers.
- Deep/liner: metallic, high intensity. A shimmery deep olive with a metallic golden moss green sheen. This is probably one of the prettiest liner shades I own! Love!- Medium/crease/accent: shimmer, medium intensity. A lovely lovely blushing coral with coral and gold shimmers. Love this color as well!
I've been collecting these Canmake Cream Cheek since they came out, skipping only 06 Nut Cream because it was too brown for my taste. T...
Happy New Year! Hubby and I finished the refill pack of Bene Premium Bluria Delicious SPA Shampoo a couple of weeks ago and promptly m...
Here are my entire collection of Stila Convertible Color . Missing in the photos are the LE colors Peach Poppy, Coral, and Roseberry from t...
Just finished this 110g bottle of Skin Aqua Super Moisture Gel SPF50+ PA++++ so here's a quick review. This is a stronger version of ...
Been using this gigantic 800mL/27.1fl. oz. bottle of Johnson's Head-to-Toe Lotion off and on this summer so here's a quick post for...
Just finished this 125g tube of Suqqu Comfort Melt Cleansing Cream the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit!
I literally have one use left out of this 75mL/2.5fl. oz. tube of Caudalie Gentle Buffing Cream ^.^ I picked this up when Caudalie had a BO...
Oops. Here's a post that fell through the crack--hubby and I finished this 100g tube of Komenuka Bijin Cleansing Foam a month ago ^.^&q...
Finished this 50g/1.7oz. jar of Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm a couple of weeks ago and forgot to review it. Elemis is a British brand...
This Yu-Be YuSkin Sisora Lotion is a newish release. It came out in the past couple of years, and I think Yu-Be also revamped their packagi...