Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Sephora Collection Rouge Brilliance Rouge Shine

During the holidays, Sephora ran an End-of-Week Treats promotion. Among the goodies are two lipstick minis: 1.4g/0.04oz. of Make Up For Ever Artist Rouge Creme in C211 (will review next) and 1g/0.035oz. of Sephora Collection Rouge Brilliance Rouge Shine in N14 Love Spell

All pictures taken in natural light without flash.

I do appreciate that many big name brands at home are recognizing and seizing their target market for sheer and moisturizing lipsticks. I mean, if there's demand, why not supply? This Sephora Rouge Brilliance Rouge Shine is a good example. The formula is decent, it's smooth going on and the texture is just right, not too thin but not too thick either. Comfort level is decent, not moisturizing like what I'm used to but I also know I'm spoiled rotten when it comes to lipsticks.

The finish is a little more confusing, there's a High Shine/Glossy and then there's a Shimmer. Sounds pretty straightforward, only there many colors within the High Shine/Glossy range that have shimmers, and there are a few colors within the Shimmer range that's shimmer free. Huh?!?

I find the color selection overwhelming. There are simply too many color choices, several dozens(!), the majority of which I find too garish. Sure, I'd love a bright lipstick, but there's a fine but distinct line between bright and neon. May be my tastes just vastly differ from the target market?

- N14 Love Spell: a warm pastel pink in the tube but swatched and went on my lips a milky princess pink that was on the cool side. I just couldn't stand that milkiness, although I did put up with it an hour to see if the color would adapt the same way many slightly milky Japanese formulas did. Nope, it never did. Quite the opposite, and the color became even more opaque as the lipstick dried. It looked so horrific on me that I didn't think twice when tossing the tube into my trash bin. Yuck. I don't even want to think how the more neon colors would apply and wear. Ick.  If Sephora's going to give freebies to entice and draw people to a product, I wonder why they didn't pick a color that's more neutral and universally flattering.  

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts