Monday, May 13, 2013

Crown & Crumpet Tea Room, San Francisco

This Crown & Crumpet Tea Room is pretty much right across the street from Japantown's Peace Plaza, on Post Street. I had no idea it was there because its window blinds are always drawn and closed. If it weren't for a cloudy afternoon, I would have never noticed the 3-tiered trays and teapots! I guess a south-facing store front has its drawbacks too... 

Anyway, doesn't this place look like Cath Kidston fantasy land? Hubby argued it was more the Japantown-effect, little does he know they luuurv Cath Kidston over there, so I still blame her ^.^

How adorable is this setup? Although I have to admit, their tea pot was way too big and held at least 4 large servings of tea!

Their teacups were big too, and I was done after just two cups of tea -.-'

Our afternoon tea spread, with hubby channeling Edward LOL! I sort of see why they had to keep the window blinds drawn and closed. Seriously, who can stand a hubby sparklier than you?!? Hmph.

Savories on the bottom tray (left), scones and crumpets on the middle tray (right), and sweets on the top tray (second row). Unfortunately, their savories left little to be desired. Seriously, how hard is it to make cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches? Not only the breads were dry, the sandwiches were tasteless.


The scones were much, much better, but I didn't enjoy the crumpets either. Sure, they were soft and spongy, but they were also served soggy with butter. I love butter, but I don't love soaking my pastries in it. Urgh.

After the meh savories and hit-and-miss crumpets, I started to wonder if the sweets too would let me know. Strangely enough, those sweets were among the best I've had. They were just right, not too sweet, silky smooth and delicious! Huh?!?


My favorite was the tiramisu mousse, which was heavenly, and hubby's favorite was this miniature chocolate eclair. So seriously, go to this place for tea and cakes/sweets/scones but skip the rest.

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts