I'd been eyeing these Opera Lip Tint for a long time, since their release in the fall of 2016 when I'd just moved home from Tokyo in fact. As it happened, they were sold out on Opera's official online shop for the longest time, until the summer of 2017, can you believe that? As soon as I saw them in stock again, I grabbed one of each color, 01 Red, 02 Pink, 03 Apricot, 04 Orange, 05 Coral Pink, and 06 Pink Red.
All pictures taken in natural light without flash.
First thing first--love the packaging. Slim and sleek, and the shiny gold appeals to my monkey brains. I've echoed Citrine that with Japanese lip and cheek products, anything with "tint" actually means "stain." These Lip Tints aren't an exception. If their popularity says anything at all, it's that they work pretty well. They apply with a transparent but great pop of color, then wear off to a soft stain, which you can leave as is or top with clear balm or gloss to revive the color on your lips, so check for great formula. Texture wise, I wish they weren't so thin but I found them adequately moisturizing, so no complaints here either. All the colors are transparent and shimmer-free, and you already know I love that.
What I do want to complain about is the similarity in colors. Then again, most Japanese lippies split hair when it comes to color variations. If you want my take, the four colors that applied unique on my lips, and swatched unique on the back of my hand too, are 01 Red, 02 Pink, 04 Orange, and 06 Pink Red. Even then, of these four only two left discernibly different stains: 01 Red and 02 Pink. The rest just look too similar.
- 01 Red: applies warm red but stains neutral red.
- 02 Pink: applies cool rose and stains even cooler pink.
- 03 Apricot: applies orange-coral and stains coral.
- 04 Orange: applies fiery orange (love, love, love!) but leaves the second weakest stain of all six colors, a faint coral. I don't mind this as I'm just over the moon with the orange.
- 05 Coral Pink: applies true to its name, a pink-coral, but leaves the weakest stain of the bunch, an even fainter coral than 04 Orange.
- 06 Pink Red: applies raspberry but stains an identical but weaker cool pink than 02 Pink.
Will I buy more should they release new colors? Yes ^.^