Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Higasunne UV Cut Face Powder SPF50+ PA++++

In my review for Nanoce BB Mineral Powder, I mentioned I got this Higasunne UV Cut Face Powder SPF50+ PA++++ the week before. And after 2 weeks of trial, I'm happy to report I've finally found a contender for my current favorite Privacy UV Face Powder in terms or quality and price! Woot! Love it when that happens! xD

Higasunne is a brand from Kobayashi Pharmaceutical, a small company whose products I haven't tried before. So yes, another new brand discovery which is great!

All pictures taken in natural light without flash.

Let's start with the active ingredients: zinc oxide (酸化亜鉛), octinoxate (メトキシケイヒ酸エチルヘキシル), titanium dioxide (酸化チタン), and Tinosorb M (メチレンビスベンゾトリアゾリルテトラメチルブチルフェノール), basically a balance of chemical (octinoxate and Tinosorb M) and physical mineral (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) filters. These are the same 4 active ingredients Nanoce has, only in different concentration that results in stronger UVA protection on Higasunne's part with a PA++++ (PPD16+), versus Nanoce's PA+++ (PPD8-16). Meanwhile, Privacy leans chemical, with 3 chemicals to 1 physical mineral filter, trading in titanium dioxide for Uvinul A+ (ジエチルアミノヒドロキシベンゾイル安息香酸ヘキシル). 

I've actually read two different arguments. One side says a balance of chemical and physical filters is best because the organic chemical filters can be irritable to sensitive skin. The other side says zinc oxide is a better physical mineral filter than titanium dioxide, but the organic chemical Uvinul A+ beats them both ^.^ Since my skin is pretty tolerant, I tend to prefer more chemical filters, going for the strongest protection my skin can take. Were my skin normal, I would probably go for a balance of chemical and physical filters. Were my skin sensitive though, I would probably stick to mostly, if not solely physical mineral filters, bearing in mind that physical filters only would be weaker and less effective than a mix of chemical-physical, or mostly chemical filters. 

Higasunne has 4g of product content, same as Nanoce, both being 0.5g more than Privacy, which has only 3.5g. So in terms of price versus content, Higasunne wins with a retail of 1,000JPY (though I paid only 739JPY via Rakuten JP!), with Privacy retails for 1,200JPY (last time I looked, it was about 800-850JPY, now it's 950JPY), and Nanoce loses out big time being 2,000JPY! 

Though it's hard to tell from the swatch photo below, the Higasunne powder has slight pink tint. It also has a little more opacity than both Nanoce and Privacy, so it does provide a bit of coverage depends on application. I would use a squirrel or squirrel mixed hair brush for a translucent application and a goat hair brush for more coverage. Once on, it's similarly weightless and creaseless as Nanoce and Privacy. So yes, I would definitely say this Higasunne powder is posing some serious competition for Privacy! And yes, I did buy backups of it also, because at 739JPY a piece, why the hell not? Love!!! 

2 comments:

ginny said...

Do you know of an online retailer for this that ships to the U.S.? Rakuten doesn't seem to have it. Thanks!

D. said...

Hi ginny,

I bought all of my sunscreen powders including this Higasunne one from Rakuten. Here's the link - http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/lmaster/item/e327442h0000/?siteID=LRp_m01qx1Y-ZIF1EE9KGu6ONXKv0t_Mkg

Cheers,
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts