Saturday, February 21, 2015

Koyudo Price Increase!

So I'm trying really hard not to panic, but alas I am. Folks, tragedy abound - I just learned today Koyudo will raise their prices by as much as 40% for many items starting March 2, 2015!!! Actually, the new prices are already effective in Japan. Click on the Koyudo JP link below to go to their official Japanese website =O.O=

See this official notification on CDJapan's website. 
***All screenshots from CDJapan (not affiliated!!!) and Koyudo JP.

Why such a drastic hike on prices? Well, I can think of a couple of reasons:
- Demand, demand, demand! Since stumbling onto Koyudo a couple of years ago, the Koyudo brand recognition has grown enormously thanks to bloggers like Sweet Makeup Temptation. I'm so happy for Koyudo and they're finally getting the recognition they deserve, after all their brushes are no less quality than Hakuhodo or Chikuhodo. At the same time, higher recognition means higher demand and guess who pays the higher prices? US. Yup, you and me.
- Japan is in a recession, and the yen really weak against the dollar right now, hanging at around 120JPY per USD1. Just for some perspectives, when I was in Japan back in 2012, the yen was at its strongest, at around 80JPY per USD1! 

So what does this mean? Well, if you have something you've been dying to get from Koyudo, get it now at the current price while you still can T.T I've taken a bunch of screenshots for price comparison, so you can do the math yourself.

Koyudo BP High Class Series - Current prices on CDJapan.

 Koyudo BP High Class Series - New prices effective March 2, 2015.

Koyudo fu-pa Series - Current prices on CDJapan.

Koyudo fu-pa Series - New prices effective March 2, 2015.

Koyudo C Standard Series - Current prices on CDJapan.
 
 Koyudo C Standard Series - New prices effective March 2, 2015.

Koyudo H Series (fan, kabuki, kinoko, etc.) - Current prices on CDJapan.

Koyudo H Series - New prices effective March 2, 2015.

Koyudo Pr Purin Series - Current prices on CDJapan.

Koyudo Pr Purin Series - New prices effective March 2, 2015.

While we're at it, remember in my last Chikuhodo post I mentioned a couple of grades of goat hair above saikoho? Saibikoho would be one of them. Check out this brand new Koyudo release, the Echizen Lacquer 5-Piece Saibikoho Goat Brush Set, at a cool 200,000JPY, or USD1,679.68. Yup, this is what I mean with saikoho being the best affordable +.+

This is last year's offering, released August 2014. As you can see, they do sell, so there are people out there who would fork over that money!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? I have been saving money so that in July I could order a large number of them.... This means I need to get all my favorites now. Noooo. Which of these are your favorites?

D. said...

Hi anonymous,

Sorry to be bearer of bad news. This was quite a shock for me also, especially when I have a running wishlist and saw the difference between the new prices and the old ones T.T

You've asked a pretty tough question, so instead of writing a super long comment, I'll make it into a post for everyone to read. Time is of the essence so I'll go write that post right now!!!

Check back in a few hours, okay?

Cheers,
D.

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts