Sunday, January 29, 2023

Rafra Essence UV Gel SPF50+ PA++++

New year, new sunscreens to try, although hubby and I started using this 180g pump bottle of Rafra Essence UV Gel SPF50+ PA++++ since last summer :P Rafra is a pretty new brand having debuted, I think, in 2018. One of their flagship products was a pair of sunscreens in pump bottles, this Essence UV Gel and another Essence UV Milk SPF50+ PA++++. 

Essence UV Gel (left bottle) versus Milk (right bottle)

What's the difference, you say? The Gel version is an easy-on easy-off formula that's *not* waterproof, and the Milk version is waterproof. Since 2012, our go-to easy-on easy-off sunscreen for the summer (for neck, arms, legs, etc.) has always been Nivea Sun Protect Water Gel Super SPF50 PA+++ (Note: the link is for an old version that's been discontinued. The most current version I have is Nivea UV Super Water Gel SPF50 PA+++ with spring 2021 packaging. They updated the packaging again later that same year, but the formula remains the same), so I thought I'd switch things up a little bit with Rafra and see if hubby likes it. 

Nope. Hubby doesn't like it ^.^ First of all, this Rafra "Gel" isn't a gel but more like a body lotion, and a pretty moisturizing one at that. Hubby's so used to the watery gel texture and next-to-nothing feel from Nivea that Rafra feels unexpectedly heavy. To be honest, I don't like it either. It was a touch too sticky for my taste as well, and I merely find it tolerable with a mild and fresh citrus fragrance. However, when I passed my extra backup bottle to aunt D., MIL's older sister who's in her 70's and has dry skin despite living in humid Florida, she loved it because it was so gentle and moisturizing to her aging skin. 

Then come the spring of 2022, Rafra decided to discontinue this Gel version and updated the packaging for the Milk version, renaming it to simply UV Milk. I believe they changed the Milk's formula as well, although it's still waterproof. I wasn't at all surprised. In fact, I picked up the newer UV Milk to compare and contrast with the older Essence UV Milk. Will post later when I get to it.
 
 
Essence UV Gel (blue font, discontinued), Essence UV Milk (orange font, discontinued), and the current UV Milk in updated packaging.

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts