Sunday, March 18, 2012

White Day Macarons

French and Italian sweets are all the rage in Japan, and that means macarons (not to be confused with the coconut macaroons) on are everywhere, though honestly I was never curious enough to try these. After all, they're just...cookies. But I was so very wrong. A couple of weeks ago hubby's advisor gave us an omiyage - a box of macarons - from her trip to Nagoya, and that was when I finally realized what a fool I was for not getting all over these much much sooner. They're delicious!

So when White Day was approaching, I thought I'd treat myself to an 8-piece gift set from my local Patisserie Chou Chou.


These aren't the most colorful macarons around, but I don't really any more food coloring than I already get :P I'm glad I tried these, actually. They were really yummy! I wish they'd put lots more butter cream in the middle though, but of course that's just the piggie in me speaking ^.^

Top row, left to right: Cocoa, coffee, almond, macha,
Bottom row, left to right: Strawberry, lemon, black sesame, and cocoa

I ate lemon, cocoa, and coffee first ^.^


Then on White Day, to my great surprise a Parisian gentleman in our class gave all of us gals each a box of  macaron from Ardeur, how nice is that?!? I've seen these on display at Yokohama station the week approaching both Valentine's Day and White Day, but I didn't buy because they looked a bit too fancy all wrapped up in gift boxes. But what do you know, I ended up with a box after all. いただきます B-san! 

5-piece gift set from Ardeur. From left to right: Salted Caramel, Macha, Strawberry, Yuzu, and Gianduja (chocolate).

And it turns out Ardeur makes these in a gazillion flavors too! 


Needless to say, I had to stop myself from eating them all in 1 sitting. They didn't last through the next day though, that's for sure.

Yuzu and salted caramel. 

Macha and strawberry

Gianduja, which is a really fancy word for chocolate.

Of course I ate yuzu and salted caramel first! The yuzu was alright, as the flavor was weak and the yuzu didn't quite come through. The salted caramel was weak too, although I did taste the salt, which was unexpected and nice. Over all, I liked the macarons from Patisserie Chou Chou better as they didn't crumble so easily and was more chewy, which I liked. But these were yummy too.

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts