Thursday, November 15, 2018

M.Y. China (Chinese cuisines), San Francisco

There were two nights while hubby and I were in SF where I had to hang around the Westfield Mall for a few hours starting in the early evening. It wasn't just for the convenience of having a chair and table to sit and write but also for the sake of staying near hubby. His work conference was just a couple of blocks nearby.


So I asked my pal J. to dinner with me one night and she recommended M.Y. China on the 4th floor of the mall. She works down the street from the mall and would come here with a gf and colleague a couple of times a month whenever they work late.


I didn't know the menu so J. took over and got her favorites. For just us two gals we ordered enough for four and J. took home the leftovers since I couldn't ^.^ I liked the pork belly sliders, the crispy tofu, and the string beans. The special beef was yummy, crispy and delectable but was a tad sweet for my taste. The hand cut noodles and eggplant hotpot were okay but nothing impressive, but this could be because I dislike eggplants in general.


We ordered two desserts too, a matcha tiramisu and a strawberry flan. Both decent.

Funny enough, I ended up back here again the very next night. Hubby and I were supposed to have dinner elsewhere but his conference stuff ran overtime and he had less than hour for dinner. There was no time to go anywhere else and we didn't want any fast food, so I thought, hell, let's just eat here again.

I ordered a bunch of things that caught my eyes this time while hubby just rushed to stuff his face before having to return to work, poor thing. We tried of their chicken wings and my favorite was the dry rub. So good and had a bite to it. The other variety with sauce was good too, but again on the sweet side. I'd go back there just for the wings alone. The Sichuan dumplings were good. The sauteed choisum was good too.


But my choices for entrees were meh at best. The "special" seafood was nothing like the "special" beef above. It came out in a white sauce with barely any flavor. The chicken was even worse. The waiter recommended it because I liked the wings with the same dry rub, but this chicken were huge chunks of white meat without any marinades, then sprinkled with the same rub--sprinkled. So again, barely any flavor in addition to the white meat being dry and stringy. Would not order either again.

The green tea ice cream dessert was a mistake also. I asked the waiter how large was the serving and he said a small cup. When it came out, my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets--it was served in the same cup they use for soups. Think about it, a soup-serving of ice cream! Sheesh! I took three bites and just couldn't eat anymore.


While finishing up dinner alone (after hubby had gone back to work), I had a great time people watching. Here's a prime example of why I love SF, and I'm not alone. Interesting place, interesting people. Click to zoom.

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts