Sunday, April 5, 2020

Air-drying Racks for Makeup Brushes

A while back Bellyhead posted on Instagram a picture of her freshly washed makeup brushes drying upside down on some nifty brush stands. What brilliant drying racks, I thought, and immediately asked her where to buy them. She named Benjabelle, a brand that supposedly invented these drying racks. However, by the time I got to Benjabelle, severe copycat competitions from Amazon had priced the company out of the market and they had stopped (hand!)making these brush stands altogether :(

Benjabelle drying rack for makeup brushes, sadly no longer available.
***Image from Wondedondigo Instagram page.

Bellyhead also pointed me to a blog post from The Notice about her favorite drying rack (the Brush Bar) and washing board (the Brush Board). 

The Brush Bar

The Brush Board
***Screencaps taken from The Brush Bar Amazon store

However, I had major reservations with both the Bar and the Board. 

The Brush Bar:
- Had clamps, which left me wondering if it could securely hold my chubbiest brushes (think Koyudo fu-pas).
- Could hold only 10 brushes. Given the size of my collection and how seldom I wash my brushes (once a year, if that, as my brushes are used on a rotational basis and only get washed when enough dirty brushes are accumulated--I don't have time to wash them more often), even if they could hold my chubby brushes I would probably need at least half a dozen of bars for each washing. 
- Costs a cool $38 each, so you do the math. Not feasible. 

The Brush Board: 
- I don't question how well the board would deep clean my brushes without even getting my hands wet. 
- My only question is this: how do I clean the board itself? 
- The plastic material would mean major soap scum accumulation. 
- All those grooves and teeth would mean major headaches in getting soap scum off. Not feasible. 

The company also sells a Brush Bubbly, a liquid cleanser to be paired with their Brush Board. However, a list of ingredients for this cleanser isn't available and I don't like bundled products either way (as in, you need product B for product A to work effectively).

So what did I do but resort to those very copycats on Amazon? Le sigh. Since these are copycats, I won't name the brand. I simply chose those with the number and sizes of holders best suited for my brushes. As a result, I only needed two racks and each cost me $11.99. No doubt you'll be able to find a gazillion of them in all sizes and shapes, and with a price you like.

The biggest holders, and there are 6 of them in each rack, fit my chubbiest brushes just fine.

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts